Re: Input Method of Gnome

In article <199903091853.DAA09382@pwd.chroot.org>
gniibe@chroot.org writes:

[...]

>In the frontend model, XIM server stands in front of the application
>and does input processing.  As it (almost) doesn't require any
>help/change in the application, it works well somewhat.  This is the
>way current GTK+ widgets works for Japanese. (I guess.  Please correct

No. Current code in gtk+ is based on the backend model. When an
application get a keypress event, the event is sent to XIM server once,
and modified (or discarded) by the XIM server if required. This
mechanism is done by calling XFilterEvent().

[...]
>Here are my points: I think that backend model is the right way.  It
>would be good if GNOME comes with backend model for Japanese Input.
>To do so, we need to change the widgets to call the service, but XIM
>is useless for this, as it offers additional layer which results
>inefficiency.  Instead, we should think about CORBA.

Why do you think XIM is useless for Japanese Input based on the
backend model? It seems to be working fine for me.

P.S. I use an XIM server called 'kinput2' with XEmacs. Kinput2
works fine with gtk+ also.

Akira Higuchi
Dept. of Mathematics, Hokkaido Univ.
Hokkaido, Japan