nice little bug

   Heres something interesting. I had a bunch of names in my gnomecard..
adresses, etc.. I was adding another name, and it coredumped.. so, I open
gnomecard again, and behold, the cardfile is gone. nonexistant actually.. well,
no biggie. I only had about 20 names. Well, the interesting thing is: only part
of the time does it have the add, edit, del etc buttons.. half the time when I
load it, they are there. the other half, they are not. This is version 1.01 of
gnome. In 99.8 it seemed to work better. Maybe this is an issue with gtk 1.2.
Luckily I didnt have a buttload of names and addresses in there.
   I like gnome, and the authors are doing a good job. However, it has a
lonnngggg way to go before it is really stable. My entire directory tree is
filled with 'gnome-droppings' as someone so put it. Many apps
included with gnome have segfaulted or done something extremely strange at some
time or another. When I run the gnome-cd player it fills my screen with some odd
window, and bogs the computer down to virtual non-use.. (the reset button
helps, ctl alt <- or ctl alt f2 do not) the gnumeric app segfaults randomly, GMC
segfaults whenever properties of a file are viewed.. GMC seems to be a core
component of using gnome as a "desktop environment"
   Yes, all the games work.. hwever, Im not really using gnome for it's games.
I would really like to use it for some productivity as well. I love gEdit, and
EE, and other misc gnome/gtk apps that are stable. I hope the stability of the
rest of it really increases very very soon.

I dont want to sound as if I am bitching, I am not. Gnome has come a long way
in its time. However, 1.0 really is not yet a stable release as far as I can
tell. If it wants to win the hearts of the non technical windows crossover
users, it still needs a ton of work.  If improvements keep coming, I feel that
it will be done soon - however, its just not ready for the level of stability
that a 1.0 version requires.