My first impression and goodbye

Here's my 2 cents,
I am a complete newbie when it comes to gnome.  I've seen the various
points/counterpoints on /. website about gnome and kde.  I decided
that I'd try gnome since it is "the future" of the interface for
linux. Release 1.0, sounds like a good starting place, so lets get it
installed.

Now to those who are experts, please don't laugh too hard at my lack
of abilities from this point on.

I installed gnome and enlightment.  startx.  Nothing.
Hmm.. I minimize programs, and I "lose" them.  Hmm, this cant be right.

I couldn't get anything to work.  Read the docs.  Read the web page.
Read over the list.  Nothing.  Ok, join the list, ask a question.  Ok,
questions aswered rather quickly.  Good deal I have it running.

Start file manager, core dump.  Thanks.  Everytime I use it I  get a
core dump.  Looks great.  Ok, open a browser, and open a web page.
Great.  Hit a real audio site.  No audio.  Oh, someone is asking a
questions about that.  Good.  Try suggestion.  Doesn't work.  What the
hell is esd?  Dunno, but I don't see any process called esd.  Hmm..
ok, no real audio sound, great.

Same problem with x11amp.  try suggestion offered on list, but again I
can't find anything called esd.

I seems any program that uses sound has this same problem. (Quake,
Xgalaga, etc...)

Hey, look here, a program for gnome that works like ICQ.  Great, but I
can't install it.  Write the author. Nothing.  Hey look, the author
posts in the gnomelist.  Write the author asking a questions about
re-compiling the program with the new gtk.  Still no response.  Nice.
Yeah, I'd do it myself, but I'd need a follow the leader instruction
script to re-compile the program with the new gtk.  (remember, I'm not
a programmer, I'm a newbie, just trying all this out)

Ok, log out.  GUI goes down, but what are all these errors that
occured when I was running E?  I dunno, but it doesn't seem to care,
still annoying.

So far, I've had 3 complete system lockups, countless core files from
gnome filemanager doing something, and a general bad taste in my mouth
with the problems I've experienced with 1.0.

I've seen posts that ask if it was rushed.  From this side of the
monitor, it appears that it was rushed.

I may try gnome again, but I'll wait for 2.0 or something like that,
perhaps when RedHat decides that gnome is stable enough to have gnome
be the DEFAULT interface for ALL RedHat installs.

I guess I'll try kde next and see what the difference is.