gnome start and stop

Hi!

I have followed the discussion about starting gnome (I use Version 1.0) for a
while and tried all those nice tricks. No I am that far that my
..xsession-file only contains the line exec gnome-session.

But every time I log in (using xdm) it takes a minute until anything happens:
First the screen changes to the color of my desktop, after anouther 10 secs
the panel is started. After this nothig happens. If I start enlightenment "by
hand" starts gmc as well.

Is this correct? why does it take so long???

And the second question:
How do I log out correctly? All the time I hit "log out" in the Panel-Menu
the Panel quits. All the rest is still running. I can stop gmc on the same
way. But enlightenment is still running. And if I try to log out of
enlightenment, nothing happens. It just runs, and runs, and ...

How do I stop gnome correctly?

see you,     Chris

BTW: Is there a running/compilable balsa anywhere? I tried to compile Version
0.4.2 (?), but there were many errors of unknown functions ...