Newbie Install Question

I know this must be simple but I cant figger this one out.

I am running Redhat 5.2, the most generic install off the cd.

I've downloaded gnome 1.0 from the gnome ftp site and installed
everything using the Red Hat Package Manager.

Now.. how to I start it?  According to the gnome website:

Now that you have gotten all of the GNOME packages by either RPM or
tarball sources you will need to configure either your .xinitrc,
.xsession, or .Xclients files to run GNOME. You should be currently
running one of these files to start your window manager of choice. The
files are located in your $HOME directory.

NOTE: If you are using xdm to start X you can only use the .xsession
file.

   Once you have determined which you are using to start X you should
add the following lines to start GNOME:

    exec gnome-session

Only one problem.  I don't see any of these files in my home
directory. Here is what I do have:

.Xdefaults
.bash_history
.bash_logout
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.mc  <---- directory
.netscape  <----directory
.newsrc-news.earthlink.net
.wm_style
Xrootenv.0
html  <-----directory
nsmail  <--- directory

Ok, which file do I edit, I don't see the ones the instructions
mention.  I've installed enlightment, but thats not running either, I
using FVWM 95, so where do I go from here?

Thanks