Installation trubs

Hi,

Hope this is the right place for help with troubleshooting a Gnome /
Enlightenment installation. :-)

In brief, I downloaded the Gnome 1.0 RPMs as per the Gnome.org Web site
instructions, and installed them after I removed the the gnome-core and
gnome-devel rpms that came with RH 5.2.

I did get a number of dependencies warnings during the installation, and
used --force and --nodeps to deal with those, as I was feeling a bit
adventurous. The Enlightenment desktop comes up all right, but only with the
crummy salt-and-pepper X background. Themes seem to work, but again, you
can't change the background. The config program, gnomecc, doesn't seem to
have been installed, ditto Balsa. e-conf complains of a missing lib file,
libcapplet.so.0...

Has anyone seen this stuff before?

Regards,

-- Juha