Re: 1.0 tarball compile problem

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 jlh@geodesic.com wrote:

> What I just did, (and it worked), was to install each of  [libz, libtiff, libpng,
> libungif]
> from the RPMS on the RedHat 5.2 binary install cd.  This installs the libraries into
> /usr/lib.  After running 'ldconfig -v', and rerunning ./configure in the imlib-1.9.4
> directory, imlib built just fine, with no complaints.

If all else fails I guess I'll have to try this. But there must be a way
for imlib to find these files - If they then prove to be outdated, I'll
compile new ones... Fine. But this is just annoying :)

> I still don't understand it, but it is yet another example of the confusion that can
> result, in both programmers and the OS, from using both RPMS and tarball
> installs.  And I hope somebody fixes it, because I do want to be able to build
> any libraries from sources.

Yeah, same here... In my experience, self-built programs are much neater
than prefab rpms :)

----
 "When one entertains female friends, one should try not to
  look quite as seedy as certain unnamed parties habitually do."
                     --- Calvin & Hobbes: "It's a Magical World"