1.0 tarball compile problem

OK I managed to transfer Gnome 1.0 to my machine (took forever) and am in
the process of building it.

imlib still doesn't like me.

One: I get this warning. What's it trying to tell me?
*** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -lz.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.

I have libz installed, definitely-

Also:

/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lgif: No such file or directory

Where can I get libgif?

Thanks in advance & Best wishes,
Nils

----
 "When one entertains female friends, one should try not to
  look quite as seedy as certain unnamed parties habitually do."
                     --- Calvin & Hobbes: "It's a Magical World"