Confusion about glib/gtk+ rpms among users

After looking through the many many posts about gnome on slashdot, it
seems to me that lots of people are confused about the versions of glib
and gtk+ and many think that you can't have both 1.0 and 1.2 (or 1.1)
simultaneously. I think it's pretty important that this is mentioned
somewhere in the installation instructions for rpms.

All the user has to do is rpm -ivh instead of -Uvh the glib/gtk+ 1.2
packages and make sure that they only have the -devel-packs for the
version they want to develop for.

I have seen many people telling others to simply rpm -ivh --nodeps... I
think this a bad idea. Once a novice user have messed up his
installation, he'll have a hard time getting it right... Maybe it could
be mentioned that it's not a good idea?

And I think something should be mentioned about the quite large amount
of packages required... The greatest advantage is that if one package
is upgraded you don't need to download lots of stuff, except the
very code that is updated. If the packages are listed with decent
descriptions about excatly what they are good for, I think lots of the
confusion and flame-like comments can be avoided...

Just my $0.02
Richard