Re: Did GNOME go 1.0 too early?

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   I actually agree with you mostly.  Can someone 'official' please explain to
> me why it was released so early?  I can understand gnome-libs but why
> everything?

Because that way they could release it on Linux World Expo? Ride on the
wave of media attention that's gonna get them?

Me, I just wanna check out Gnome again after finding 0.30 to be a pile of
poo. Anyway, the installation of the RPMs is annoying - I use SuSE 6.0 and
I think I am getting a little fed up with the whole package idea but
nevermind - but it looked nice enough so I figured, let's see how bad
the RPMs are and grab the source.
Big mistake.
I expected some nice, easy compile.. But no.. not only do I need a heap of
libs, it's also not finding a couple of libs that I do have, and ohwell,
it's too early in the morning to get frustrated. All I want is a
./configure that works. Other people are able to do it, why not Gnome.

Sigh.

----
 "When one entertains female friends, one should try not to
  look quite as seedy as certain unnamed parties habitually do."
                     --- Calvin & Hobbes: "It's a Magical World"