RE: New Panel...

No, Being able to be pulled off the panel is just something that comes with
using the gnome dock. It can be disabled if desired. One advantage to taring
it off would be to set it to allways be on the bottom and sudenly you have
an active desktop like situation (with out the suckieness :). You can drag
applets to the desktop. Also, gnome dock items, unlike their tare off bar
widget brothers don't leave anything behind when they are torn off. It wasts
no space in the panel when torn off.

The greatest advantage to using a gnome dock widget in the panel is the fact
that you can finally stack applets. Reduces space wasting when there are
both small and large applets in the same panel.

>    I'm not sure if I'm understanding this right; you want all applets to
> have the ability to be detached from the panel and be able to be dragged
> around the desktop as though they're a normal app? The point of a panel
> applet is to write a program that fits inside the panel. If you want a
> program that you can drag around the desktop, write it with GnomeApp
> instead. Mini-Commander used to (still does? I'm not sure, I don't use it
> right now) have a dock widget so you could drag it off the panel. The most
> obvious flaw with this design is that your program is then consuming space
> on both your desktop AND your panel. In my opinion, that's a very bad
> thing and I think it should be avoided.

> Cody

> On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Fox, Kevin M wrote:

> > I was playing with libglade (very cool stuff) over the weekend and made
> > panel applet that could take read in its interface from a glade file...
> > Well, I was playing around with it, putting different kinds of widgets
in
> > the applet. Then I tried putting a gnome dock widget in it with a fiew
do=
> ck
> > items... When I saw the result, my jaw dropped. Suddenly (confined to
the
> > applet space) was what looked like an improved panel. The dock items
were
> > free to move up/down left/right, instead of just the left/right of the
> > panel... They could even be torn off. Then it really hit me. Rewrite the
> > panel to use a panel widget based on the gnome dock. Well, being a c
code=
> > in training, I figured I would try to write a small example of it. I
kind=
> > did. Its not perfect, but its a start. Kinda a proof of concept.=20
> > =A0
> > To try it, run make. If you have libglade on your box, there is a
libglad=
> > based test applet that you can play with to see the true power of the
pan=
> el.
> > To get the libglade ver, type "make libglade-test-applet". To play with
i=
> t,
> > start the window panel, "./window-panel &". It spits out its IOR. Copy
th=
> > IOR and hand it as the first argument to the test-applet. "./test-applet
=
> IOR
> > &". You can start the test-applet as many times as you want... Play,
Have