Re: Some things GNOME really needs

GnoRPM will tell you in a GUI format what is needed. A flying mascot
around the screen??!? I think a lot of us would be sick to see something
like this. We (in my opinion) are trying to make UNIX easier, not bloody
dumb! .tar.gz files which have to be compiled by hand-- all of these
usually have configure options which vary widely as to effect. Writing a
GUI to interface with the configure script (also which some people don't
use, believe it or not) would be a nightmare. If they want to hand install
something, let them read "Porting GNU Software" (I think) which covers the
idea of configure ; make ; make install ; make clean. And then let them
hack on it themselves. RPMS are for the people who can't handle
hand-compiling things, or for those of us who've compiled enough things to
get tired of it and just want the software installed _now_.

Having programs specifically designed for GNOME is shooting yourself in
the foot. Taking extended advantage of GNOME features is a better idea
that making it only work with GNOME.

DirectX is not something that happened fast, and a lot of that was done by
Microsoft with hardware vendors, as I understand it. That would not be a
"GNOME" project, but perhaps a "Linux" or "UNIX" project.

Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688
IN CONSTRUCTION:                        http://gnome.windsofstorm.net