Re: E and Solaris 2.6 bugs

>From: raster@redhat.com
>To: grk@arlut.utexas.edu
>On  9 Mar, Glenn Kronschnabl scribbled:

>->  2) everytime I try to change an E theme, it complains that another
>->  enlightenment WM is running (which is wrong - I have verified this
>->  _everytime_), and it doesn't matter if I hit cancel or ok, E proceeds to
>->  lock up the entire X session, and I have to go to another terminal and
>->  kill E - then everything works okay.
>
>???? bafle.. E re-execs itself and shoudl lose its display connection
>thus not be the wm anymore for a brief period before restarting.

This however *is* what happens on Solaris, and always has been.  I think we had
a discussion about this some months back, and discovered that the initial open
of the port for X is held open, even when the processes being restarted die =OZ

The only solution is to kill and restart X from an open terminal window.  Best
bet is to use Eterm (so you can use the menu to "Steal Focus" if you lose it
when E dies) and open and move all the other windows to ensure none of them
flash open from iconic over your terminal.  It also allows you to rm
~/.enlightenment/...e* before starting with the new theme, which always stops
the new theme being messed about, I find.

>->  3) Display problems - sometimes the refresh of windows gets screwed up
>->  (i.e., they don't repaint themselves).  Even weirder, this only happens
>->  with GNOME apps, Netscape doesn't exhibit this problem.  When I switched
>->  to dtwm (not something I like to do), the repaint problem went away.
>
>X bug likely - E sest "use saveunders" by default - turn this off in
>e-conf and the problem will probably go away too.

There have been a number of problems with Creator3D and Elite3D drivers in
Solaris that don't show up much with Sun's software, but Enlightnement and Gnome
manage to tweak the bugs' arses just enough for them to jump into sight.  Most
everything appears to be fixed in the current Solaris 8_alpha, so make sure you
keep patched up on whatever OS version you're running, and hopefully these fixes
will reach you soon =O)

Ta,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'         "Everything is true, for a given value of 'true'" - PTerry