Re: true transparency

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:49:58 Jamin Philip Gray wrote:
>For example, you'd see your gmc icons on your desktop
> behind it, or an xscreensaver running on the root display, or
> something, and you'd see windows that are behind it.  Is that
> possible?

Very possible with the Xshapes extension, checkout these apps: Xeyes, blast, oclock, gqmpeg. The difficulty in doing so is that the Xshape extension would have to be applied to each character, which could require some serious cpu cycles. I have always wished it was done, but I think it would be much easier, faster, and better looking to grab a snapshot of the area  behind the window (this may require some wizardry if X handles windows the way i think it does) and wouuld allow for shaded windows as well.

- Eric Windisch