Re: Mixing tarballs and RPMs

Thanks.  I probably shouldn't call it a bug, but when a
simple change, like compiling the latest advertised gnome-libs
with default parameters, can completely destroy the desktop
environment it should be called something more than
"expected behavior".

I followed your advice and _almost_ got a working gnome back.
At least the task bar looks reasonable, and I can launch gnome-terminal
and netscape from their correct icons.  But the gnome menu never
fully recovered, and I can't set parameters in the "desktop settings"
menu at all.

I also tried to just reinstall from the RH 6.0 cdrom all of the
gnome and control files, but that doesn't help either.  I'm now
going to completely reinstall RH 6.0, and that's a big problem.
It should not be that hard to save/restore state, but at least
next time I know that I'll either have to set up a complete
gnome-tarball installation, or just install from official RPMs.

Thanks for your help,

John