Clarification: Crashing X/Gnome with gimp

With regard to my Gimp Error that hangs X:

> > /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.1/plug-ins/psd: Segmentation fault caught
> > /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.1/plug-ins/psd (pid:19361): [E]xit, [H]alt,
show
> > [S]tack trace or [P]roceed: _

I think I need to explain myself a little more.  First off, I shouldn't
have used the term "Crashing" with regard to X.  Rather, when the Gimp
crashes, it simply hangs MOST of X.  My panel afterstep clock, cpu
meter, etc, keep on ticking.  The mouse cursor continues to change shape
as dictated by the window manager.... but that's about all X can do once
this happens.  No mouse clicks or keyboard input is accepted by any
application.  Windows don't focus when moused over, etc.  I then have to
go to a console and manually kill X and anything else X-related.  I
tried this procedure with enlighentment and window maker.  Restarting
the window manager does not help.  I now really think something
Gnome-related is causing X to freeze up here... as everything works fine
w/KDE.  I'll eventually get around to trying this procedure with desktop
environment running.

Again, I'm not really worried about Gimp crashing.  It's in
development... to be expected.  I'll just rever to using my relatively
stable 1.1.2 dev release.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

My original message follows: