Re: GtkText Capabilities

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Jay Bloodworth wrote:

> More generally, it would be nice to have a widget that made it easy to
> provide for text input box with at least lightweight WSIWYG editting,
> something like the ubiquitous Bold-Italic-Underline button bar.  GtkText
> doesn't seem terribly suited to this task.  Can anyone point me to a
> more featureful text widget?  Is anyone working on such a thing for
> Gnome?  Info, opinions, and pointers are appreciated.

The consensus is that GtkText sucks. It will probably be replaced
eventually; hard to predict exactly when. I think Owen wants to wait until
i18n is finished, so the text widget will support bidirectional scripts
and so on.

I'm sure you're welcome to hack on this, but it's going to be (very)
nontrivial.

Havoc