Re: GNOME plans (--> mail clients)

Hi,

I'm new to Linux and also to this list. Still, I found your discussion so
interesting that I just *cannot* stop myself from interfearing. :-)

I come from the OS/2 Warp world, slowly converting to Linux RH6.0. At work,
I'm forced to use WNT.

As *many* new users of Linux, I'm looking for a modern, full-featured, GUI
based e-mail client. As many new users, I will use it to access my POP
mail. As many users, I need to have an integration with my pgp application.

>From a real end-users point of view, I may add the following
thoughts/wishes/dreams:

- I would like to have my e-mail (in/out) decrypted/encrypted with either
pgp or gpg. My choise. (Could such a choise be automated for decryption?)

- I would like to have an address book, such as the one in Netscapes e-mail
client. (I actually appreciate to have my friends phone numbers in there. I
normally receive the phone number by e-mail, so it's a very natural place
to save it.)

- I would also like to be able to mark in my address-book, on a per
receiver basis, to what receiver of my e-mail the e-mail app should sign
and/or encrypt my message. (If I sign *all* my outgoing mail, a lot of
people that will never dive into data encryption gets so confused. :)

- I would like to be able to decide, on a per recipient basis, which
pgp/gpg user id should be used for encryption. Example: I send an e-mail to
a friend. I know he's at work, so I send it to his professional e-mail
address. He doesn't have any pgp/gpg user id with his professional id. His
employer wouldn't appreciate it. BTW, who knows how long he will stay
there? Doing it manually, I would encrypt e-mail to this guy with
the id of his *private* e-mail address, but send the message to his
professional e-mail address. If I could set this up in the address-book, it
would be nice.

Finally, as a hint from an end-user. The best (or least bad :-) POP e-mail
client that I've found so far for Linux is the Netscape client. It *does*
have one huge drawback. There is no pgp/gpg interaction. The last point is
why I'm currently fighting with kmail. Sometimes kmail even does what I want
it to. ;-)

Hope I didn't take up too much of your time with my dreams and wishes.

Best regards
Gustav