gnome-session

I am having a problem getting gnome-session to start. I have installed the
latest tarballs and am using gdm to login, I do have a Gnome selection on
the options buton, but it does not work. I can go to failsafe and when I
type exec gnome-session I says there is a problem with WindowMaker clientID
(even though I have said that I want to use E as window manager) If I start
E from failsafe and the in E start panel & it will start up and seems to
work fine. I have tried to edit Xclients and other files but no luck. I have
changed in my /HOME/.gnome/ wm.default ( I think this is what it is called)
to show Enlightenment, but each time I logout and log back in it gets
changed back to WindowMaker. Can someone help with this, what am I missing,
am I changing the wrong files. ( two late nights now and still no sucess)
Thanks for any help
Brad