RE: ESD Question

On 29-Jul-99 Chris Backas wrote:
> I'm fairly impressed with the ESD subsystem present in GNOME, the way
> everything can mix together without much if any of a hit on the system.  I do
> have trouble running
> games with ESD running though.  For example, Civilization, Call to Power will
> not play sounds or CD Audio if ESD is running.  I've tried prefacing the
> command to run Civ
> with "esddsp" but that doesn't help at all.  That would be ideal if it did
> though, so if I'm missing something please let me know =)  Barring that
> though, is there an easy way
> to temporarily suspend ESD?  So far I usually kill the process and then
> restart X when I'm done playing and want it back =\
>
>From the Civ:CTP FAQ at Loki Games:

Does the game support Esound?
Not in the 1.0 release. Esddsp (a dynamically loadable object which will redirec
t /dev/dsp to esound) will not work with 1.0 because it's statically linked.
Version 1.1 has native support for esound. You can get the 1.1 patch on the
support page.

That's http://209.223.115.151/support for you. Hope this helps!

E-Mail: Alain Borel <Alain.Borel@icma.unil.ch>
Date: 30-Jul-99 Time: 08:47:45
First rules of programming: constants aren't; variables won't.