Notebook... sessions.. and all that

Hi,
	I just got LinuxPPC up on my Powerbook G3. It's starting to be
functional, but I'm having a problem when I disconnect from the
network. I think that the gnome-session magic must be touching the
network somehow since it takes a really long time to setup the
desktop, and it never allows me to log out. With the network connected
login/logout are snappy. Any idea what could be going on? Is there
anyway to turn sessions off? Oh, BTW, when the desktop does appear the
pager applet is absent! Hmmmm.......

vmlinux 2.2.10 kernel
linuxPPC RH5 from www.linux.org
gnome-core-1.0.7 from .../contrib/software of www.linux.org