GNOME Software Map: Reinventing the weel?

At the task page in
http://developer.gnome.org/helping/tasks.html,
I read about the GDisk, a "proposal" app which would
show all disks, partitions, configure these,etc
in a computer.

But, only recently, Mandrake has released a beta
of DiskDrake with these and more functions in GPL
license.
And
it's even made with gtk!
Why aren't people taking advantage of the GPL, which
grants us to take it and change it to our heart's
desire?

Or why won't anybody contact with Mandrake first, to
see if they want
make it a oficial Gnome program.

Conclusion is,
before thinking into starting a software project for
Gnome, check first if it is already being made
outside
of Gnome and in GPL....and start creating the
gtk/Gnome version of it. You can even help the current
author to put a new feature you would like to see in
it.

Eduardo
P.S.-First time post in this mailing list(well, a
few
times before through geocrawler), and it had to be
a rant:)... But this issue has been in my head for a
long time.

===
POLI:Projecto Português de Documentação do Linux
http://www.poli.org