Re: libgtop versioning

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 10:37:10AM +0200, Martin Baulig wrote:
> Ronald de Man <deman@win.tue.nl> writes:
>
> > Feb 16	0.0.8
> > Apr 25	2.0.0
> > Jul 26	0.0.0
> >
> > Why is that? No wonder I'm having problems!
> >
> > I've had this happen one time earlier, also with libgtop.
>
> This is what is called libtool versioning (info:libtool#Libtool_versioning).
> It allows you for instance to have different versions of the same library
> installed and each program correctly picking the correct version.

Ok, I read info:libtool#Libtool_versioning. So you reset
CURRENT:REVISION:AGE to 0:0:0? Why?

Because of this change I can not have these three different versions
of the same library installed. For me this is not serious, because I have
no use anymore for the Feb 16 version, but it's broken, IMHO.

> The problem is of cause a bit "confusion" with library names.

It is not just "confusion". If I'm not very mistaken, your versioning
scheme allows two totally different versions of the same library to have
the exact same name.

Why not use names like libgtop-1.2.so.C.R.A ?

Ronald