GMC problem when opening with /usr/bin/emacs

I've just about got my system configured to let our Intro. to CS
students do everything but their programming from within GMC (my
thanks to James Henstridge for all his help).

There is one last issue, having to do with setting the application
that is used to open a particular mime type.  When I use a full path
name, such as /usr/bin/emacs, rather than just "emacs", I get the
message:

	Unable to open
	"/home/stu30/Get.new-jcc"
	with the command
	"/usr/bin/emacs %f".

This is the correct path for emacs on my system (and the problem
occurs when I run other things, such as the script I wanted to run,
instead of emacs).

Is there some reason why GMC would refuse to use an executable when
the full path name is given?  I suspect I can work around this by
putting the directory containing our script on each user's path
variable, but I'd rather not have to modify that.

For reference, I'm using "Gnome gmc 4.5.30", on RedHat 6.0, with other
Gnome software as distributed with RedHat.  The full contents of my
/usr/share/mime-info/new-jcc.keys file is:

application/new-jcc:
        open=/usr/bin/emacs %f
        icon-filename=/Stokes8/build/cvs_user_test/new-jcc.xpm

Thanks for any help,
	       Dave Wonnacott
	       davew@cs.haverford.edu