Problem with Gnome-PPP

Hi everyone,

I've got a small problem with Gnome-PPP on my linux pc. I'm running Mandrake 6.0 without an patches or additional packages on kernel 2.2.5.

My problem is that I go to connect to my isp, the modem dials and connects and gnome-ppp displays "script completed" then a few seconds later I get a message saying that it has "failed to establish a ppp connection".

With the debug window open I can see that everything is pretty much ok, it seems to stop the output to the debug window before my last SEND though.

I have confirmed that I can login to my isp manually (Minicom and running pppd from the command line). I have tried with two different isp's and they both produce the same results.

Checking /var/log/messages i get the following text :

pppd[670]: pppd 2.3.7 started by cynicide, uid 501
pppd[670]: Serial connection established.
pppd[670]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[670]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
kernel: PPP BSD Compression module registered
kernel: PPP Deflate Compression module registered
pppd[670]: local IP address 216.100.144.147
pppd[670]: remote IP address 203.56.11.23
pppd[670]: Terminating on signal 15.
pppd[670]: Connection terminated.
pppd[670]: Connect time 0.2 minutes.
pppd[670]: Sent 248 bytes, received 352 bytes.
pppd[670]: Exit.

Does anyone know what's wrong, I've been fighting this for four days and I'm almost at wit's end! On the up side I've learnt more about ppp than I'd ever like to ;)

Thanks

Anthony