help learning to build a gnome project

I'm attempting to write an applet for the gnome panel.  My
trouble is that I can't seem to find a resource for learning how
to get started.  Not so much with learning the gnome libs and so
forth, but learning to create a project.  I don't much at all
about makefiles or autoconf.  I've got C code.  How do I build it
and package it so that others can build it?  Are there utilities
that would assist me in this?

Jamin Philip Gray
jgray@writeme.com
http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~jpg2/
http://www.linuxfreak.com/~jgray/

All thoughts, all passions, all delights
Whatever stirs this mortal frame
All are but ministers of Love
And feed his sacred flame.

--Samuel Taylor Coleridge