Newbie: where are startup log files kept?

Hello --

I'm still having trouble getting Gnome to startup on a particular user
account. All other user accounts work fine, it is just the account named
"felciano". I have tried deleting the account with Linuxcfg and recreating
it to no avail: the Gnome desktop still doesn't appear (although
Enlightenment is running).

I would like to look at whatever logs Gnome keeps while starting up --
maybe there will be error messages, or some hint of where it might be
reading outdated account information. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ramon

Ramon M. Felciano              | "Made from 100% pure recycled electrons"
Section on Medical Informatics |   http://www.smi.stanford.edu/~felciano/
Stanford University            |                           (650) 298-0204