marketing

my take on it -

i write a weekly column for Linux 'newbies' for an large IT portal.
the way i see it is this:  KDE is exactly what people have grown
accustomed to.  it looks and acts like Windows 9X.  Gnome does not.  Gnome
took a different approach and has become (in my opion) the superior
product.  Gnome, however, does not have the 'familiarity' that KDE has -
so new users tend to shy away from it.  i think if gnome were to
incorporate some very simple tools - like Kppp and a mail reader (like
Kmail) Gnome would gain in popularity.

i currently use AfterStep and gnome together and - when people see my
desktop they ooh and ahh and wish they could do what i do with their Win9X
machines - they can.  i gloat.

anyway...yes, KDE has a history in it's saddles.  KDE has been around for
a long time and has a huge amount of dev's working on it's side.  Gnome
has done amazing things and could very easily reach that same state.
given time and care.

that's my two pennies.

now i have to go buy a new keyboard - my space bar has grown mushy!

jack wallen, jr				       \||/ they will fancy the
a prince among spookables		       -00  cocaphonous multitude
get jack'd - at www.techrepublic.com             >  of complacency
L   I   N   U   X  - the power of the people    -