Unable to directly launch GNOME capplets

[Apologies if this has already been discussed on the list, along with
thanks for a pointer to the resolution]

I've stumbled across one problem I haven't seen mentioned before, and
one that I have.  I'm running Debian Potato w/ kernel 2.2.10, all
packages up to date as of last night.  I'm starting everything with
gnome-session from my .xinitrc file, and everything seems to be going
all right.  However, if I try to start any GNOME capplet from either
the menus or from an xterm, I get the following error:

itp@geodesic:~$ mouse-properties-capplet

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkCTree'

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkctree.c: line 3908 (gtk_ctree_post_recursive): assertion `ctree != NULL' failed.

** WARNING **: an initialization error occurred while starting 'mouse-properties-capplet'.
aborting...

And, of course, nothing beyond this happens.  When I launch gnomecc
from the panel (or menu) and then select any of the capplets,
everything works fine.

Potentially unrelated, I am also experiencing the odd error upon X
startup, as reported by Jon Harris several times.  For me, everything
starts fine, but then in the text output from X I find:

** WARNING **: Could not get name service!

** ERROR **: file goad.c: line 606 (real_goad_server_activate): assertion failed: (name_service != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
aborting...

Again, I haven't noticed any side effects, just this message.

Here's a list of the Debian packages I have installed of the control center and all packages that it relies on, such as ORBit etc.  For non-Debian folk, ignore the -# at the end of the version, that's just the Debian release number.

ii  gnome-control-c 1.0.5-2        The Gnome Control Center
ii  gdk-imlib1      1.9.4-5        Gdk-Imlib is an imaging library for use with
ii  gnome-core      1.0.6-2        Common files for Gnome core apps
ii  imlib1          1.9.4-5        Imlib is an imaging library for X and X11
ii  libart2         1.0.10-3       The Gnome canvas widget
ii  libaudiofile0   0.1.7-1        The Audiofile Library
ii  libc6           2.1.1-12       GNU C Library: Shared libraries and timezone
ii  libcapplet0     1.0.5-2        Library for Gnome Control Center applets
ii  libesd0         0.2.10-0.19990 Enlightened Sound Daemon - Shared libraries
ii  libglib1.2      1.2.3-1        The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgnome32      1.0.10-3       The Gnome libraries
ii  libgnomesupport 1.0.10-3       The Gnome libraries (Support libraries)
ii  libgnomeui32    1.0.10-3       The Gnome libraries (User Interface)
ii  libgnorba27     1.0.10-3       Gnome CORBA services
ii  libgtk1.2       1.2.3-1        The GIMP Toolkit set of widgets for X
ii  libgtkxmhtml1   1.0.10-3       The Gnome gtkxmhtml (HTML) widget
ii  libjpeg62       6b-1.2         The Independent JPEG Group's JPEG runtime li
ii  libpng2         1.0.2b-0.1     PNG library - runtime
ii  libtiff3g       3.4beta037-8   tiff runtime library [libc6]
ii  libungif3g      3.0-2.1        shared library for GIF images (runtime lib)
ii  orbit           0.4.90-1       A CORBA ORB (part of Gnome)
ii  xlib6g          3.3.3.1-9      shared libraries required by X clients
ii  xpm4g           3.4k-1         X Pixmap run-time libraries
ii  zlib1g          1.1.3-3        compression library - runtime
ii  libungif3g      3.0-2.1        shared library for GIF images (runtime lib)
        ^^^ (Provides virtual package giflib3g)

--
Ian Peters  | GnuPG Key ID 5C23D20C    | "He that breaks a thing to find out
itp@gnu.org | E584 2558 FAC3 BEAB EFAC |  what it is has left the path of

PGP signature