RE: Viruses

This is exactly the kind of complacency virus coders are hoping for.  There
are *many* holes in any system, even in the install/run tactics you
describe, as others have already pointed out in this thread.

Virus coders typically go in for the thrill of breaking into the system - in
creating virii that can invade the toughest security.  Who thought virii
would be developed that could evade virus signature checkers?  But they
were.  Who thought a virus could bypass the supposedly secure UNIX login?
But it did - the Morris worm exploited a little known login "bug" to get
into systems quickly and easily.

And how about the recent flood of email-based virii?  Isn't it easy to
imagine that one of your users could run an unknown email attachment on your
Linux box?  (Proving only that virii don't even have to be smart to invade.)

Linux is more secure than Windows, yes.  But not bulletproof.  Simply saying
the problem will never exist is just asking for it to happen.  Expect it.
This is virgin territory, and some virus coder somewhere will get his cheap
thrills pioneering it.

rog