Problem with gnome-libs

I've found reference to the error i'm receiving in an old message from 19
Jul 1998 from Steve:"Can't get pased gnome-libs when compiling "  I'm not
certain how to configure the gnome-libs so that i will not get the error "In
file included from gnome-app-helper.c:15:  ../libgnome/gnome-i18n.h:16:
libintl.h: No such file or directory "

There was a brief solution posted, but i'm really not certain what i need to
do to compile gnome-lib properly.

                                                               Sam