RedHat6 GNOME RPMs + Source overhaul (changes?)

I have a RedHat 6.0 system and recently removed most all the gnome rpms and updated the packages via source, and it appeared to have changed a few things that I was wondering if anyone could clarify them for me.  First off, I'm using gnome-core-1.0.7 and gnome-libs-1.0.10.  Anyway, when I fired up the GNOME panel for the first time I had noticed that when I would goto the logout screen it would no longer fade out the screen and ask me If I would like to save the session and/or reboot, I found that feature to be very helpful because I often used that to reboot w/o having to close down all my programs.  Now I have the stupid session management stuff again that doesn't ask me that and so to reboot I have to close every program, goto logout, press Yes, wait for GDM to respawn, then goto System->Reboot.  Did I perhaps overhaul the source packages incorrectly or is this just that RedHat hacked up the gnome they packaged a little bit?  And it strays from the real source?

Thanks