Re: RHL6/Gnome TCP/IP

Quoting r W r on Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 04:47:30PM -0500:
> This message written by newbie from (gasp!) Windows 98 . . .
> Have not been successful in setting up Internet connection with
> Gnome/Enlightenment. Where in linuxconf PPP setup does one correctly
> enter the Primary DNS server No.?
> The Redhat text says that it's needed (true) but forgets to say where.
> At this point I've entered it at the Remote IP blank box - but that's
> just a guess.  The modem dials the number correctly and goes through
> the normal buzzing-honking but fails to set up a working connection.
> Then the problem becomes one of trying to get the modem disconnected.
> Linux/Gnome has a lot going for it - but Gnome sure is a dog to set up.
> Comments appreciated - Tnx Roby

I normally place the dns values directly in /etc/resolv.conf.  That file
takes the format:

domain mydns.com
nameserver 123.45.67.89

I dont use linuxconf or the control panel in RedHat for these things because
its much easier to just open a xterm, su to root, edit the files, and be up
and ready.  REmember you do not have to stop the dialing session to change
or add to /etc/resolv.conf.  The wonders of Linux!!

A alternative dialer that works quite well with RedHat is wvdial.  You can
get either rpms for it or build it from the tarball.  It works either in
console or x with no problems here.

After you start a dialup ppp session, su to root and edit /etc/resolv.conf
directly and add your dns information.  Then try pinging a known host like
www.yahoo.com or something similar.

--
Michael Perry
mperry@znet.com