Re: Couple of possibly really stupid questions!

It is not necessary to upgrade to the CVS version of Enlightenment.  I wouldn't
recommend it since Sean sounds like he is new to Linux and he probably
does not know how to use CVS.  I would recommend getting the updated GNOME
rpms, which includes a new version of Enlightenment, from either:

ftp://ftp.inconnect.com/pub/unix/linux/redhat-6.0/contrib-updates/

ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/RHAD/

Hope this helps,

-Bryan

On Fri, 02 Jul 1999, Michael ROGERS scribed the following:
Michael ROGERS> >When using the gnome pager, how do you make an window behind another
Michael ROGERS> >window come to the front?  For instance, I'll have an xterm window open,
Michael ROGERS> >then I'll open a bunch of other apps/windows.  Invariably the xterm will
Michael ROGERS> >get hidden behind a much larger window (netscape for instance).  Now, I
Michael ROGERS> >can see that the pager has a button for the xterm, but left-clicking on
Michael ROGERS> >the button does nothing (other than making a noise, but the window stays
Michael ROGERS> >hidden.  The only thing I've been able to do to get it to work is middle
Michael ROGERS> >click on the button (to hide the window) then middle click again (to
Michael ROGERS> >unhide).  This brings it to the front.  Now, maybe I'm just too used to
Michael ROGERS> >Windows, but it seems like a single click on one of those buttons should
Michael ROGERS> >bring the window to the front so you can use it.
Michael ROGERS>
Michael ROGERS> This is a bug in Enlightenment. Upgrading to 0.16.0 should fix it.
Michael ROGERS>
Michael ROGERS> >Second question, I've recently had a problem with gnome on one of my
Michael ROGERS> >accounts.  When I login, I don't get a panel across the bottom.  If I
Michael ROGERS> >type 'panel' in an xterm I get an error message claiming that a panel is
Michael ROGERS> >already running and do I want to start another one (the second one will
Michael ROGERS> >not be restarted).  If I say No, I still am stuck without a panel.  If I
Michael ROGERS> >say yes, it tries to launch a panel on the bottom (the panel starts up,
Michael ROGERS> >I get my drawers and buttons, but no mini-commander or clock, I then get
Michael ROGERS> >a bunch of GTK fatal errors in the xterm, then it dies with a core
Michael ROGERS> >dump!  This only happens on my normal account.  I created another
Michael ROGERS> >account last night and the new account had no problems.  How do I fix
Michael ROGERS> >this problem?  I'd still like to use my original account and thought I
Michael ROGERS> >could move the .gtkrc, .gnome, etc. files/folders over from the new
Michael ROGERS> >account and start over.  Will this work?  Is there an easier way?
Michael ROGERS>
Michael ROGERS> If you delete .gnome/ and .gnome_private/, Gnome will create them again with
Michael ROGERS> the default settings next time it's run. This is probably easier than
Michael ROGERS> copying the directories from your new account and then messing around with
Michael ROGERS> premissions, etc.
Michael ROGERS>
Michael ROGERS> >Also, in this account, how do I logout without the handy little logout
Michael ROGERS> >on the gnome drawer?  I've just been using CTRL-ALT-Backspace to get
Michael ROGERS> >back to the login prompt.
Michael ROGERS>
Michael ROGERS> In an xterm, type "save-session --kill".
Michael ROGERS>
Michael ROGERS>
Michael ROGERS>         FAQ: Frequently-Asked Questions at http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq