Re: Tab completion in gmc

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, James M. Cape wrote:

> Marcus Brubaker wrote:
> >
> > Just a thought, but could we make a "double tab" do completion?  This
> > might be harder than it's worth, but I think it would be ideal.
>
> Tab completion should work in gnome as it does in nearly every other
> directory-oriented typein (i.e. bash, csh?, etc.), which means tab-once
> to complete, tab twice to show further options (perhaps in a modal
> dialog).

Unfortunately, bash and csh are console apps.  We are dealing with a GUI
here and things are going to change, that's just the way it'll have to be.
I would love to be able to keep the tab key for completion on GNOME, but
unfortunately, in the name of keeping with general GUI standards, tab is
already claimed for manuevering around widgets.  I think the best thing we
can do is make it as close to the console default as possible.  Perhaps we
could define a standard metakey key combo to add to common console
shortcuts in GNOME?

Regards,
Marcus Brubaker
spoon@elpaso.net
http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon

"He didn't take any notice!" whispered Tomjon.
"A born critic," said the dwarf.
        -- Discworld stage actors in conversation
           (Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)