Terminal weirdness

I have started using GNOME Terminal 0.99.3.2 and I have noticed
something strange.  Approximately every third terminal window I start
gives me a:

/etc/zshenv: parse error: condition expected: -eq [12]

before the prompt.  The other two out of three start cleanly. I have
noticed no other subsequent problems with the terminal window.  I
never see this in xterm or any other terminal I have tried.  There is
nothing mysterious about this conditional in /etc/zshenv, as far as I
can tell.

if [ `id -u` -eq 0 ]; then
  path=(/sbin /usr/sbin)
fi