Re: configure is such a liar :)

In message <Pine.GSO.3.96.990126141225.24035J-100000@ext1>, Jeff Garzik writes:
+-----
| Actually, I *do* have -lz, but it is not finding it b/c it is not in my
| LDFLAGS as a -L entry.  So, the message that "incorrect libz version
| found" is wrong, since it didn't find anything at all.
|

| checking for compress in -lz... no
| configure: error:
| *** Incorrect libz version found.  Please make sure you do not have
| *** an outdated libz.a or libz.so hiding in your X11 distribution or
| *** elsewhere on your system.  Versions of libz with the compress and
| *** uncompress symbols are sufficiently rencet to build GNOME.
+--->8

Yes, slight problem there.  It checks regardless of whether the preceding
check succeeded or not.

dnl Test for libz
AC_CHECK_LIB(z, inflate,
  AC_CHECK_HEADER(zlib.h,
    Z_LIBS="-lz";  AC_DEFINE(HAVE_LIBZ)))
AC_CHECK_LIB(z, compress, ,
   AC_MSG_ERROR([[
*** Incorrect libz version found.  Please make sure you do not have
*** an outdated libz.a or libz.so hiding in your X11 distribution or
*** elsewhere on your system.  Versions of libz with the "compress" and
*** "uncompress" symbols are sufficiently rencet to build GNOME.]]))

Let's try this instead (also fixing a typo in the message, sigh):

AC_CHECK_LIB(z, inflate,
  AC_CHECK_HEADER(zlib.h,[[
    AC_CHECK_LIB(z, compress,
      Z_LIBS="-lz";  AC_DEFINE(HAVE_LIBZ)),
      AC_MSG_ERROR([[
*** Incorrect libz version found.  Please make sure you do not have
*** an outdated libz.a or libz.so hiding in your X11 distribution or
*** elsewhere on your system.  Versions of libz with the "compress" and
*** "uncompress" symbols are sufficiently recent to build GNOME.]])]]))

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu