Re: gtk+ and gtk-engines slow

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Sean Christopher Rhea wrote:

> Could the machines memory be probed and base the default setting off that?

Probably.  It couldn't be too hard to write an autoconf/automake macro to
do this and distribute a .imrc with GNOME that is modified accordingly.
Then for precompiled stuff just assume low mem and make sure that we have
a capplet or something to change things.  Perhaps someone could write a
"System Profiling" capplet with "idiot user" like options. IE, you select
ammount of RAM and processor speed and a few other things and then the
capplet decides which settings best fit that systems configuration.  I'm
unfortunately too busy, or I would write something like this myself.

Marcus Brubaker
spoon@elpaso.net
http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon

Magrat was annoyed. She was also frightened, which made her even more
annoyed. It was hard for people when Magrat was annoyed. It was like being
attacked by damp tissue.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad)