transparent png problems ...

I just compiled and installed glib-1.1.13, gtk+-1.1.13, imlib-1.9.2, gtk-themes, and the latest
gnome tar-balls.  All of the png icons that are supposed to have transparent back-grounds are
showing up with their backgrounds visible, and errors stating :

libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library

I thought I saw a couple of previous posts on how to fix this problem with the transparent png's,
but I'm unable to locate the particular messages that addressed this issue.

--
-Rob