Re: Gnome Linux Binaries...

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > Has anyone here ever tried to compile gnome on a Slackware 3.6 box? Its a
> > bloody nightmare :)
>
> I do not know about Slackware, but I recently had to install all of
> the components myself in a BSD system and it was a straight forward
> task.  Long, but simple.

I frequently compile gnome on Slack 3.6.  It seems easy to me :)  I have
given up on CVS, I now only install numbered release tarballs.  I do it
in this order:

install Slack a, ap, d, f, k, n, tcl series.

ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/local/bin/gcc-egcs-1.0.3

install latest linux kernel
upgrade procps
upgrade net-tools
upgrade proc-info
upgrade ppp, if needed

install latest XFree86, everything except the Japanese docs.

gettext 0.10.35 at least
automake
autoconf

libxpm
libungif
libjpeg
libtiff
libpng

freetype

glib
gtk
ORBit
imlib
libgtop
gnome-libs
gnome-core <- this no longer builds in 0.99.3.2!
gnome-everything-else

icewm <- replace with your favorite WM.

make install && ldconfig

Cheers,