seg-faults on all menus, and some popup menus

Hi. I'm new to this list and first would like to say that Gnome is a great
piece of software, and that I truely love and support it.

I recently reinstalled Linux, and with that Gnome, and I notice that in
the current release (and the components listed in the tarball installation
page on www.gnome.org) that in any Gnome app, whenever I open a menu or a
popup menu, it gives a segmentation fault and coredump.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem? I noticed that
gnome-guile breaks, but I was told nothing use it. hmm.

thanks for any help, and it's great to be on the list :)