Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:11:34 -0700 (MST)
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
To: gnome-hackers@nuclecu.unam.mx, gnome-list@gnome.org
Subject: Congratulations on GNOME
Sender: owner-gnome-hackers@nuclecu.unam.mx

On the occasion of the first official release of GNOME, I would like
to congratulate and thank all the developers of GNOME for taking the
GNU system to a new level.

The initial goal of the GNU Project was to make a free operating
system that would be compatible with Unix.  And that is what we got:
the GNU/Linux operating system is as powerful as Unix, and as easy to
learn as Unix.  Which means, not easy enough ;-).

You are changing that.  Free software should be good for all users,
not just for hackers.  With GNOME, it will be.

Ultimately GNOME should aim to surpass Windows; the goal should be to
make the GNU system as natural as the Macintosh.  That won't be easy;
it will require careful attention to the coherence of the interface,
and to how non-hacker users respond when the program is set before
them.  But if we keep the goal in mind, we will get there.

Thanks for the good work.