double-clicking directories not working

Over the past week, I have done a completely clean build from CVS of all
parts of gnome, including imlib, ORBit, glib, gtk+, gnome-libs, gnome-core.
Since then I have been experiencing this problem.

In any file browser dialog of any gnome app, double clicking a directory
does not open or enter the directory.
This is true when browsing to select an icon for a panel applet, or browsing
in an Open File.. dialog within gwp or gnumeric.
Double clicking large icons for directories works in gmc, but
double-clicking small icons in full, partial, or custom view does not work.