Re: Where to get latest versions of programs

I've tried RPMs and I've tried .tar.gz files and I prefer RPMS actually
(in fact i download .tar.gz and build RPMs from it now). The
problem with .tar.gz is that a 'make uninstall' is not a 'standard'
thing. It is on the whim of the coders. Secondly, a make uninstall
does NOT remove all of the installed files (at least not all of the
time) so that is another problem.Also with an RPM you don't need
the Makefile intact to do a 'make uninstall' (i.e. you can conserve
space by deleting the rpm, but you can't for the .tar.gz)