Re: the New 0.99.3 Gnome-lib file Compile error

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, kiwiPete ( Peter Cague, New Zealand ) wrote:
> Hi

Hello:-)

> I have got this to update and hopefuly fix my prblem with
> shared lib's
>
> on make I get the following error ( BTW should I delet all the libs
> from the last version?):
>
> ../libgnomeui./libs/libgnomeui.so: undefined reference to `
> gtk_window_remove_acc
> el_group'

You trimmed off a very important bit above, it helps to see the command
(and all the command line options) that gave the error.  If you include
from the last "gcc" to the end of the make output, it will be clearer what
went wrong.  What I can tell from here is that it is not finding the right
version of libgtk, and that you manually copied the error message (must of
been a pain :-), more on that below).

> make[2]: *** [gnome_segv] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gnome-libs-0.99.3/gnomeui'
                                                               ^^^^^^^
Is this right?  I haven't checked the 0.99.3 tarballs, but no prior
version of gnome-libs has a "gnomeui" directory.  Does it say
"libgnomeui"?

If you are in the X Window System when doing mail, do you know that X can
copy text between windows?  You highlight the text you want to copy in the
xterm using the left button.  You then go to the window where you are
typing the email, put the cursor roughly where you want the text to go,
and hit the middle button (both buttons if you have a two button mouse).

> make[1]: *** [recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gnome-libs-0.99.3'
> make: *** [recursive-am  Error 1

What do you have for gtk+, where is it installed?  When you type

  $ which gtk-config

is it where you expect it to be?  If you installed from source it should
be either in "$prefix/bin" or in "/usr/local/bin" if you didn't specify a
prefix.  If you used the rpm, it should be "/usr/bin".  Check in the
corresponding lib directory for libgtk.so.  To be extra sure, go to that
directory and do a
  $ nm libgtk.so |grep gtk_window_remove_accel_group

If it gives you an eight digit mess (actually a hexadecimal address),
followed by a "T", followed by gtk_window_remove_accel_group, then the
library has the function.  If it returns nothing, the library does not.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef