Errors while running gnome

I compiled and installed gnome 0.99.2 and was using it for the past few days
but now it is giving me strange errors. When I click on the logout button,
gnome hangs and I can only exit the wm by doing ctrl+alt+bkspace. The X
server exit messages state that there has been some fatal io error with Gdk
and then it also complains that the ICE default IO error handler is doing an
exit.

How come all these new errors have suddenly cropped up after almost a week
of the initial install? I HAVE NOT installed anything new or upgraded any of
the components?

-Nitin