Re: FreeBSD ports

Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@adam.kaist.ac.kr> wrote:

} "Christian Lavoie" <clavoie@enter-net.com> writes:
}
} > > > Mainly, it contains fixes for the FreeBSD install policy.
} > > > For example, X related binary should be in /usr/X11R6/bin,
} > > > and library number must never be 0:0:0 etc. :-)
} > >
} > > The Debian policy also says so.  I have gimp in /usr/X11R6/bin.
} > >
} > > IMHO, such a thing is not a program maintainer's job, but
} > > (RPM|DEB|*BSD) package maintainer's.
} >
} > But the fact is that, as I have understood, FreeBSD ports are
} > uncompiled-source, and the procedure of install includes compilation. We
} > can't really speak of a 'package' can we?
}
} I don't know about FreeBSD ports.  But maybe FreeBSD has its own way
} of compiling & installing from the ports, like Debian source packages
} and SRPM packages?

In FreeBSD, you can build ports or install precompiled packages.  For example,
to build and install Esound, you do:

	cd /usr/ports/audio/esound
	make install clean

To install the package, you do:

	ftp ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages/audio/esound-0.2.7.tgz
	pkg_add esound-0.2.7.tgz
	rm esound-0.2.7.tgz

The packages are built from the ports collection by doing 'make package',
and I believe there is a machine somewhere dedicated to doing that.

 -Patrick

Patrick L. Hartling			| Research Assistant, ICEMT
mystify@friley-184-92.res.iastate.edu	| Carver Lab - 95E Black Engineering
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~oz/	| http://www.icemt.iastate.edu/