autogen.sh invokes non-existing macros/autogen.sh

I'm trying to build Gnome from cvs, and I've built many of the
core modules.

However, I'm finding that a number of packages contain an autogen.sh
script that runs macros/autogen.sh:
	. $srcdir/macros/autogen.sh
but where there is no macros/autogen.sh.

These are not obscure un-maintained packages, but they include:
	balsa mc ee control-center gedit gnome-games

This is the very latest cvs, running update -d and/or
explicitly checking out the macros/autogen.sh file.

I could fix the . $srcdir/macros/autogen.sh command
so it only run when there is a macros/autogen.sh.
But I would like to know what the approved approach is.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner