Re: (*sigh) new gnome-libs problems.

Lewis Tanzos <lewis@tulgey.browser.net> writes:

> > R Pickett <emerson@hayseed.net> writes:
> > > Well, after fighting through bad gettext installs and incompatible
> > > libpng's, I got gnome-libs-0.99.2 to compile, yay.
> > >
> > > But it won't install.
> > >
> > > Specifically, gnome-gen-mimedb segfaults whenever it's run, so
> > > 'make install'
> > > fails about here:
>
> I've been having this problem for the last month or so.
>
> The problem here is the line around line 297 in
> gnome-libs/libgnome/gnome-magic.c that says:
>
>   g_snprintf(newent.mimetype, sizeof(newent.mimetype), "%s", curpos);
>
> The problem is that, for some reason, g_snprintf doesn't use the
> length argument, so it does the equivalent of sprintf and overruns the
> array.  newent.mimetype is only 48 characters, some of the mime types
> are longer.

Just looked at the code in glib/gutils.c - can't find any mistake there,
also it tried it with an oversized entry and it worked fine for me.

However, I do remember that it attempted to dereference a NULL pointer when
it dumped core last time for me - unfortunately I already removed the core
file and the binary that was causing it and I'm now unable to reproduce it.

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier
   martin@home-of-linux.org, http://www.home-of-linux.org/