Re: esd

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 raster@redhat.com wrote:

> ->  Is it possible to use esd to play audio from one computer to another. This
> ->  would be real cool because I could do things like hearing the cd's I play
> ->  in my portable with decent audio by using my pc's sound capabilities.
>
> yup - esad handles this.
>
> one example:
>
> mpg123 -s file.mp3 | esdcat -s other.machine.name

Of course, it would be _much_ more bandwidth efficient to do:

	cat file.mp3 | ssh -l user other.machine.name "(mpg123 -s - \
		| esdcat)"

or something.  (I don't use mpg123 or esdcat, so I'm not sure of the exact
syntax of either.)

Over an unloaded local network, it probably doesn't matter, but over a WAN
link it might be very important.

--
Todd Graham Lewis       tlewis@mindspring.net      (800) 719-4664, x2804

"It's still ludicrous that nobody's ever made a run at us by making UNIX
 a popular platform on PCs.  It's almost too late now."  -- Steve Balmer
"It is too late."   -- Bill Gates             _Newsweek_, 6/23/97, p. 82